Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A new coffee today. Cuvee Coffee's Laguna Las Ranas from El Salvador. This coffee has a special place in the Austin coffee community's heart because its producer, Jose Antonio has a deep relationship with Cuvee and is sending his son to college here at St Eds. But to the coffee. We cupped this last night, using the formula that we'll continue to use going forward 8.4g of coffee 4.5 oz water, in rocks glass. As a cupped coffee, (and I confess I've only cupped this one selection of this one roast) the primary notes are ashiness and a bit of toasted caramel. It was not the floral bomb that the Geisha presented. As it cooled it became more caramel, but mostly distinguished itself with tremendous body and smoothness. No citrus.

This morning I brewed up 2 pour-overs of the Laguna, both slightly different. The first was 20g of coffee to 10oz water, the second 19g coffee to 10oz water, with a slightly finer grind. Overall, this coffee came to life as a pourover. I was still bothered by a slight ashy taste at the very first sip, but as it cooled slightly, its tremendously thick body became more apparent. Mike and the boys suggest honeydew. I don't think honeydew is appropriate, because that flavor is very particular and recognizable, but the creaminess certainly has a smooth semi-sweet hollow flavor that is reminiscent of melon. This coffee really draws out again the brilliance of a coffee which presented me with very little to go on in the cupping process with a tremendously satisfying cup of coffee. Is it ok to say here that it has a very thick and enjoyable "coffee" taste? I'm not sure coffee is on the "Le Nez Du Cafe" chart, but certainly I think its appropriate. Tomorrow we siphon, and I'll report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment