Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Linea, ugly name beautiful coffee

Let me introduce you to my espresso machine. This particular machine was built in Fiorenze,
Italy in April of 2004. It served 2 miserable years in a "Jumpin Juice and Java" from 05-07 where then sat dormant until I rescued it in April of 08. Upon bringing it home, I learned that it had not been descaled since new, and had not had a water softener attached to it ever. I disassembled the entire machine down to the frame, soaked the boilers and all metal parts in citric acid and reassembled it. At the same time I upgraded the 2 group heads to the same technology used in Marzocco's GB5 which was the state of the art at the time. The advantage of the so called "Piero" group caps is that roughly 14 inches of tubing is removed, thus dramatically increasing thermal stability. Its also very cool to say you upgraded your group heads. I then replaced the machines temperature control devices with "PID" controllers. Unlike the stock thermostat, which controlled temperature in a 10-15 degree swing, the PID uses advanced industrial algorithms to control temperature down to about 1 degree Fahrenheit. This dramatically improves shot to shot consistency and makes it easier to control other aspects of coffee production. More coffee toys to come!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment